Dr. Veena Iyer is an Associate Professor with Indian Institute of Public Health Gandhinagar. Her areas of academic and research work include Infectious diseases, Maternal health, and Urban health. She is a qualified medical practitioner from Goa Medical College (1990) and has secured an MPH from Emory University, Atlanta (2009). She is presently registered for a Ph.D. at Karolinska Institutet.
Veena worked as a Medical Office of an Urban Health Centre in Navi Mumbai Municipal Corporation for ten years (1995-2005) where she practiced as a General Practitioner and implemented all national health programmes. That body of work resulted in her present interests. Veena has also volunteered with the United Nations as Medical Doctor at Accident and Emergency Services, Rio Claro Health Centre, Trinidad, for a year (2007).
In the 90s Veena served as an Emergency Medical Officer at Lok Manya Tilak Medical College and Hospital, Sion, Mumbai for three years. She has served as a Consultant on a UNDP study, “Enquiry into the Physical Standards of Health available in the Private Sector in Rural Maharashtra”, conducted by CEHAT, Mumbai, which resulted in the earliest version of ‘Standards for private hospitals and nursing homes having a capacity of 15 to 30 beds’ in 1995. She has published a book ‘Evaluation of Impairments and Disabilities’ under the aegis of PRIA (Society for Participatory Research in Asia), in 2005.
Areas of interest
- Maternal Health
- Infectious Diseases, specifically water and vector borne
- Water, Hygiene and Sanitation
- Urbanisation/Urban Health
- Health System
Awards and Grants
- Public Health Research Initiative Grant – [PI]
- Global Resilience Program Stage 2 – Co-I
- Wellcome Trust Program – Small Grant – PI
- MATIND Project, EU (FP7) – Coordinated Phase II in Gujarat
- Iyer V, Sidney K, Mehta R, Mavalankar D. Availability and provision of emergency obstetric care under a public–private partnership in three districts of Gujarat, India: lessons for Universal Health Coverage. BMJ Global Health. 2016 Apr 1;1(1):e000019.
- Iyer V, Sidney K, Mehta R, Mavalankar D, De Costa A. Characteristics of private partners in Chiranjeevi Yojana, a public-private-partnership to promote institutional births in Gujarat, India–Lessons for universal health coverage. PloS one. 2017 Oct 17;12(10):e0185739.
- Iyer V, Azhar G S, Choudhury N, Dhruwey V S, Dacombe R, Upadhyay A. Infectious disease burden in Gujarat (2005-2011): comparison of selected infectious disease rates with India. Emerg Health Threats J 2014, 7: 22838 – http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/ehtj.v7.22838
- Iyer V, Female Health Workers in Gujarat, India: Examining Human resource actions and Work Force Objectives – An Exploratory Mixed Methods Study. Natl Med J India, 2013;26:273-8