Sr. OH Specialist and Adjunct Professor,
Dr. Shyam Pingle is a senior Occupational Health Physician in India who is passionate about Occupational Health, Workplace Wellness and Community Health. His responsibilities include teaching, research and projects in occupational and environmental health.Dr. Pingle has more than 40 years of professional experience, out of which 8 years is in teaching occupational health / public health and rest as Chief of Medical and Occupational Health Services at various reputed industries in India.Dr. Pingle did his MD in Preventive and Social Medicine in 1982 from Nagpur University. He completed Diploma in Occupational Safety & Health and Development from Swedish National Institute of Working Life, Sweden (2004). He has passed Associate Fellow of Industrial Health (AFIH) from DGFASLI, Ministry of Labour, with Distinction (1999).
Dr. Pingle was awarded various orations during national occupational health conferences. He was the National President of Indian Association of Occupational Health during 2009-2011. He has contributed a chapter in a book on BOHS, published and presented research papers, and delivered key note lectures in several international and national occupational health conferences.
Dr. Pingle is an active member of the International commission on Occupational Health (ICOH) and has been elected as a board member for the 2018-2021 term. He was heading the Scientific Committee on ‘Occupational Health & Development’ as Chair during 2009 to 2015. He has been invited as faculty in Occupational Health by international and national professional and governmental institutions and various industries in India. Dr. Pingle is an active participant in the promotion and advocacy of occupational health in India and other developing countries. He has facilitated collaborations with governmental organizations, NGOs, Industries, Universities and institutions nationally & globally.
Areas of interest
- Occupational Health
- Environmental Health
- Workplace wellness
- Employee wellbeing
Projects & Consultancy
- Situational Analysis and Needs Assessment of Occupational and Industrial Health Services in GIDC estates in Gujarat – GIDC
- STrenghtening Network EdUcaTiOn, Research and Innovation in Environmental HeALth in Asia (TUTORIAL) ERASMUS+ – EU
- Ahmedabad Air Information and Response (AIR) Plan – NRDC
- Heat Action Plan for Ahmedabad & Extension in Central India (DST Project)
- Occupational Health Capacity Assessment and Provision of Medical Facilities with respect to Occupational Health in Ship-Recycling in Wider Alang
- Health Risk Assessment at Jindal Steel Works Vijaynagar
Key scientific publications
Chapter in the book – BOHS for informal Industry; Manual for Primary Care Providers. Published by Indian Association of Occupational Health; 2016. Title of the chapter – Occupational Health: Current Situation and Scope for BOHS, Page nos. 23 to 28.
- Pingle S. Occupational health current scenario in India, Industrial Safety Chronicle, 2018 July-Sept; 49 (2): 31-35
- Limaye, V., Knowlton, K., Sarkar, S., Ganguly, P., Pingle, S., Dutta, P., Tiwari, A., Solanki, B., Shah, C., Raval, G. and Kakkad, K., (2018). Development of Ahmedabad’s Air Information and Response (AIR) Plan to Protect Public Health. International journal of environmental research and public health, 15(7), p.1460.
- Shyam Pingle, (2015), ‘Stress at Workplace’, Industrial Safety Chronicle, Vol No XLVI, No.3, October – December 2015, published by National Safety Council, India.
- Shyam Pingle, (2012) ‘Occupational Safety & Health in India: Now and the future’ ‘Industrial Health’ 2012, 50, 167-171 published by NIOSH, Japan.
- Shyam Pingle, (2010), OSH Scenario in India, ‘OSH & Development’ 2010 (Published jointly by the Swedish Association for OEH & Development, ICOH & Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm)
- Chaitanya Gulvady, Shyam Pingle, ShrinivasShanbhag, (2007), Incidence of vitamin B12 / D3 deficiency incidence of vitamin B12 / D3 deficiency among company executives, Indian Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine – August 2007 – Volume 11, Issue 2
- Pingle Shyam, ShanbhagShrinivas, (2006),CASH – AN INNOVATIVE APPROACH TO SUSTAINABLE OSH IMPROVEMENT AT WORKPLACE, La Medicina del Lavaro, 2006
Attended over 100 international and national conferences on occupational health and contributed by presenting scientific papers, key note lectures and orations. Invited to deliver semi plenary session at three ICOH International Congresses on Occupational Health at Milan (2006), Cancun (2012) and Seoul (2015).